150K - 200K
About this job
Do you foster data-informed decision-making wherever you go? Are you an excellent communicator with outstanding interpersonal skills? Do you have a strategic mindset with a focus on impact?
The Wikimedia Foundation is looking for an experienced and hands-on Manager of Product Analytics to lead a team that uses data to help our staff and our communities achieve our vision: a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge.
In this role, you will manage a team of data analysts who enable the Wikimedia Foundation’s Audiences department to make decisions grounded in truth. The Audiences department builds, improves, and maintains features of Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects – tackling challenges such as opening access to Wikipedia to all languages or making it easier for enthusiastic editors to contribute. Your team partners with product managers, designers, community liaisons, and engineers to produce the product insights that back our most important decisions.
This is an opportunity to have a high level of impact working on one of the most relied-upon digital platforms in the world, as part of a non-profit organization dedicated to free knowledge for everyone. Our commitment to user privacy sets Wikimedia sites apart from almost all major websites, and sometimes requires innovative solutions in our data science work.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We also welcome remote and international applicants across all timezones.
- Develop an overall approach to product analytics that fits the Wikimedia Foundation’s unique goals and responsibilities to our community.
- Lead initiatives to build repeatable, scalable workflows for dashboarding, controlled experiments, and ad hoc analysis.
- Prioritize incoming workload and set realistic expectations.
- Collaborate with the Analytics Engineering team to continually evolve the data architecture your team relies on for their work.
- Support and mentor your team’s members to develop their individual career paths.
- Partner with product managers to develop metrics related to product development goals and prioritize the team’s work.
- Critically evaluate your team’s work and provide constructive feedback.
- Represent the team within the organization and publicly.
- Hire and onboard new team members.
- 2+ years of experience as a people manager
- 3+ years of industry experience in a data scientist or data analyst role
- Experience designing and analyzing randomized controlled experiments
- Ability to define meaningful metrics and measure them
- Track record of success in communicating data to non-technical stakeholders
- Experience with one or more of the following: Python, R, SQL for data analysis
- Bachelor’s or higher degree
- Experience managing a diverse data science team with remote members
- Educational background in statistics or quantitative science
- Experience with open source software development
- Experience with large-scale web or media applications
- Familiarity with modern data analytics technologies such as Hive, Spark, and Jupyter
- Experience contributing to Wikimedia sites such as Wikipedia, Wikimedia Commons, or Wikidata
Show us your stuff!
If you have any existing open source software that you’ve developed please share the URLs for the source. Links to GitHub or links to talks you have given etc. are exceptionally useful.
When applying, please make sure your application includes a cover letter which states why you are interested in this position and why you would be a good fit.
About the Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation is the nonprofit organization that supports Wikipedia, the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects, and our mission of free knowledge for every single person. We help bring new knowledge to people around the world, lower barriers to participation, and make it easier for everyone to share what they know. We do this by keeping the Wikimedia projects fast, secure, and available to all, protecting the values and policies that allow free knowledge projects like Wikipedia to thrive, building new features and tools to make it easy to read, edit, and share from the Wikimedia sites, and by supporting the communities of volunteers who make the projects possible.At the Foundation, we build technology to help people everywhere access Wikipedia, across devices and in nearly 300 languages. We engineer privacy for our readers and editors so they can safely and securely explore Wikipedia. We create programs and initiatives to make Wikipedia freely available to more people in more parts of the world. We build new tools for the community of editors so they can continue to improve and grow Wikipedia. Roughly a quarter of our budget goes to supporting the community that make the site possible, including through grantmaking programs that enable volunteers and enrich the information on the sites.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply.
Benefits & Perks *
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off – vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays – including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments – long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues – diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
* for benefits eligible staff, benefits may vary by location